comfort food, Food, hearty food, Life, meals, one dish dinner, potato soup, recipes, soup, stew
This is a perfect dish for cold winter nights. Soothing and flavorful, pair it with your favorite book in front of a cozy fireplace and you’re in for a delightful evening.
As with all my recipes, feel free to play with it and make it your own. Details and pic below. Enjoy!
Until next time . . . just love, Collette
- 5-6 medium red potatoes
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion
- extra virgin olive oil (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s or salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 13 ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1/3 cup instant potato flakes (baby reds) – you can add more to create the consistency you desire
- 1 pint 1/2 & 1/2
- toppings: chopped green onions, grated Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon
Peel and dice potatoes into small cubes. Slice onion and sauté in olive oil until soft. Add the diced potatoes and cook until potatoes are almost tender (about 5-7 minutes). Season with onion salt, Tony’s (or salt and pepper). Add chicken broth and sweet basil. Simmer covered until potatoes are tender. Mash the potatoes as you like and add the instant flakes. Stir well until blended. Add the 1/2 & 1/2 and heat over low heat until hot. Do not boil.
Garnish each bowl with toppings and serve. Enjoy!